Tuesday, February 8, 2011

36. Alaska



I'll give Alaska a slight nod for shaking things up. I mean, at least they didn't go crappy drawing + state motto = lame flag. And I kind of like the concept. The Big Dipper plus the North Star, with the North Star representing Alaska.

But here are two big problems with the Alaskan flag.

One, I don't like constellations.

Two, it's a winning concept but a failure of execution. It just doesn't look good. I like a strong central image. And I need a little more symmetry.

Why not just have a giant yellow star right in the middle of the flag? Or a grizzly bear.

...

Hold up! Turns out this flag was designed by a young Native American boy named Bennie Benson. He won a scholarship for his design.

Now I feel like a jackhole.

...

I still think a grizzly bear would have been tight.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Yeah, if a Native American does it you're supposed to pretend it's culturally significant and not crappy.

Anyway, last time I checked, stars were in the sky. A state can't claim the stars. That's bullshit.